Thursday, November 09, 2006

general

Ok, I guess I should introduce things.

I am living in Dinan, which is in Britanny, in teh Northwest of France. I am working at the Lycée Professional la Fontaine des Eaux, which is an enormous high school, of about1500-1800 students. I work for the 'professional' part, which is like the vocational school, i guess. it means my students arent planning on going to university, and that they are receiving more specialized training. ive a group of electricians, for example, and a group of secretaries, and one of accountants. it makes the group composition interesting, as out of 11 classes that i see, 1 is 100% girls, 7 are 100% boys, and only 3 are co-ed. some of the students are only a few years younger than me, too. i know ive got at least two guys who are 20. so thats interesting. i have 12 hours of class a week, and i see half of the class at a time, so i see a particular group of students only once every two weeks.

I live in an apartment provided by the lycée, which is also AT the lycée. myself and two other assistants live there, Sara, who is a spanish assistant, from Spain, at the lycée, and Alisa, from Ohio, who is an assistante in the primary school. there is one other english assistant at the lycée, George, who is from Wales, and a Spanish assistant, Diego, from Argentina, in the primary schools with Alisa. so these five make up my Dinan family - les assistants de Dinan! Nous sommes peu, mais nous sommes forts! I feel incredibly lucky because i ended up with really great people. Alisa, Sara and I, especially, get along exceptionally well. we cook together just about every night, and sit down to eat together, like a real little family. it is really really excellent, and the best that i could have possibly hoped for.

on my way to Dinan i spent a few days in Paris with another Canadian assistant i had contacted by email, Anita. one of these days ill add an entry about Paris, but anyway. Anita is from Montreal, and shes working in Rennes, which is the major city for this region. its about an hour away from Dinan, and a really cheap bus ride. So, again with the really lucky, because Anita is awesome! a really great girl i get along with really well, whos always up for an adventure! we've been spending just about every weekend with her, either in Rennes (its so great to have a place to stay in Rennes!), or in Dinan, or in Saint-Malo. Her Rennes friends that we've met and hung out with are Frankie and Angelie, also really nice people. So, so far, those are the names that Ill probably use fairly often.

Dinan is beautiful medival town of about 15,000. I feel like its really safe here, but apparently after 1 in the morning, its not so much. this weekend apparently there was some kinda gang fight at 3 in the morning that involved setting a car on fire.... so i guess ill be careful not be out that late. other than that, there are lots of artists, which is great, lots of associations. we went to a drama class last night, adn we're going to try rock climbing today. its touristy, which means theres always lots of people around. and its just really pretty. again, ill add pictures soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lannio said...

Hello, I've come over to you via Stevie's blog. Stevie who is a friend of Rache left a comment on one of my blogs. Wow! reading your blog brings back memories for me. About 12 years ago I lived in the town of Annecy (in France, just south of Geneva). Dinan and Annecy are two of France's most beautiful towns! When I was in Annecy I taught English at a Lycee Prive and had an apartment on the top floor of the school (see? sounds familiar). It was one of my life's best experiences and something that I'll cherish for the rest of my life. After living in Annecy for a year I travelled all over France and made it up to Dinan. I stayed at the youth hostel there. I loved the timber houses. I didn't make it up to Mont St. Michel because it was summer and the place was so crowded (similar to a North American mall the day before XMas).

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home