Friday, June 01, 2007

return to the blog

ok, so ive decided to keep the blog going even though im back in canada and i really only started it to keep people posted on life in France. Turns out more people read it than I had realized and many of them I dont see very often so.... here goes.

Im going to go back in time to April when... I went to Amsterdam! With Robert and Alisa and two of Alisa's friends from University. It was a wonderful time. I really like Amsterdam, possibly my favourite European city. Its totally teh best kept secret of Europe because all anyone ever hears about is the coffeshops and the red light district, but it actually has a lot more to offer! Its laid back, beautiful, really unique architecture. the whole city is totally built on canals and its totally worth doing a canal tour and checking it out from that perspective - way better than a trip on the Seine in paris, thats for sure. And the museums are more interactive than i have ever seen, which was phenomonal. THe Heineken experience, a tour of the old heineken brewery, which involved singing, dancing, videos, DJing... it was fantastic! And everywhere we went had these little booths where you could email a video of yourself saying 'hi! Im at the Anne Frank house!' or whatever. Other sites we saw were teh Van Gogh Museum and the Anne Frank House. We also rented bikes one day which was fantastic! the bikes rule the roads in Amsterdam, teh have the right of way over traffic AND pedestrians! I think there are more bikes in the city than people, and it was really cool seeing people riding along, in their high heels and skirts, or business suits, obviously on their way to or from work, smoking, sending text messages, whatever. We did of course, also visit the red light district. In fact, our hostel was pretty much in it. Ill try to add pictures at some point, either to flickr or maybe directly to blogger, we'll see how it goes.

So after Amsterdam, I returned to Dinan for my last two weeks of school... it was a bit hard, a bit sad. some classes i was happy to never see again and others i was really quite sad about saying goodbye to. the teachers threw a little goodbye party for us one afternoon, which made me get a little teary, especially when Susan showed up (she was the first teacher I met, way back in teh beginning, who invited me to that kayak event my first weeked in Dinan). I had about 10 days in Dinan after classes ended to. I did a lot of going to the beach, hanging out with friends, just trying to enjoy every moment I had left. Sara, Maria and George all left the same day, which was sad, and then I left a few days later. I was forced into an awful goodbye situation with dave adn alisa. we had spent my last afternoon in Saint Malo, met some other friends and had lunch at a Creperie, then headed back to Dinan to get the bus to Rennes to spend the night and then get the train to Paris the next day. but the bus was early! So I was literally throwing my bag on the bus as it was about to pull away and had the bus driver honking at me as i hastily hugged dave adn alisa goodbye. it totally sucked. so the ride to rennes was fairly teary, but it was nice to spend the evening with Anita (the first person I met in France, we met in Paris way back at the beginning).

And then I went to Germany. but ill post about that later cause i have no time now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home